Sunday, March 21, 2010

Coffee and Vitamin Absorption


My usual quick breakfast routine goes something like this... oatmeal (apple and cinnamon or maybe with blueberries, walnuts and honey) OR maybe an acai shake, then I have my decaf Deans coffee and a multivitamin....then off to work. Well, it used to be that way anyways. I think I need to change that up a bit because according to Mark Moyad, M.D., M.P.H. author of Dr. Moyad's No BS Health Advice

“Coffee is a stimulant so it revs up the gastrointestinal tract and makes things move more quickly through your body"...so in regards to your multivitamin ...basically, the vitamins are on an express train through your body (digestive tract) and won't make any stops.....So, in order to absorb vitamins from your supplement eat breakfast, have your coffee then wait 10-15 minutes and then have your vitamins with water.

Source: Fitness Magazine, January 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment